Saturday, May 06, 2006

dreams kick ass, for better or worse

this just in from Tiffany Sum:
TRUE STORY happened a few days ago:
15 hours before my first professional 50-minute presentation. i was 80% done. tempted by the hotel cable tv, i half fell asleep with my laptop on my stomach, lucid dreaming hearing the Simple Life ramble on... In a big wide yet shallow hall, unexpectedly filled with audience seats, I found myself not prepared to speak about my work, my research, my teaching, my "deal"... I struggled in front of 50 heads
with white background mumbling. I pretended the connection from my laptop to the projector was not working right. well, not quite, just my presentation is not done. I couldn't show it. I managed to rough out some YouTube clips that have nothing to do with my art practices... the laptop went slower and slower... in the end, it crashed without apparent reasons.... I tumbled and and sweated some more. People started leaving: it was 20 minutes past my scheduled presentation time.... worst sweat in my life. I forced myself to wake up at 4.30 am in the hotel room. Sit up, re-do my presentation, precisely, delicately, practiced and practiced. 8 am I was ready to meet up with the committee head. My real presentation was never better. dreams kick ass, for better or worse.

No comments: